1 2 3 4 5 

The architecture of a technical high-school needs to express tectonic. It also has to offer polyvalence to its constantly evolving program. And it finally needs to be simple and solid, serving and unfailing the students and teachers whom will work in it.
 
The project goes right to the point. Shape and methods of construction are dictated by the rationality of the Léonard de Vinci high-school‘s program: to double its area by constructing a new building for about 1200 students, while maintaining its activity during the work. At its end, the demolition of the pre-existing school will leave its era for a generous park.
 
The new construction is organized on three levels.
On the ground floor is the technical teaching. It brings together studios, cloakrooms and storages, U-shaped around the school’s courtyard and opened on its square. They are distributed by two inner streets opening onto the studios on one side and on the other side on the courtyard, which beyond its daylight supply, guarantees anyone an easy positioning.
This ground floor is embedded in the ascending topography of the site and carries on the first floor the scholar life as well as the administration. Both are taking advantage of that direct relationship to the adjacent park. Those different functions are articulated around huge courtyards- terraces, defining specific relations between each other and the surrounding environment.
On the second level, the general education disposes of unique views on the nearby parks.
 
The structural frame of 3.6 meters, divided into 1.20m units, organizes the whole building. Windows, cladding, lightning, radiators, ventilation and any technical equipment submit to this grid. The uniformity of the fluids' distribution, the framed view and the absence of any structural loadbearing wall or drop-beam solution, allow a real flexibility of the partition. Solar protections are standstill without ever clearing out the views – except, of course, for the spaces needing intimacy. They follow the orientation and exposition of each façade and are also used for other purposes: on the ground level they contribute to the stabilization of the high glazed walls, and on the second floor they carry the passageway.
 
By the means of those optimizations, by its constructional easiness, by refusing any added arbitrary design, this architecture is free from any formal presupposition and holds onto its most simple constructive truth.


Client: Région Ile de France - La SAERP
 
Location: Saint Germain en Laye (78) - France
 
Budget: € 29,000,000 excluding all tax
 
Net floor area: 9 240 sqm demolish - 14 880 sqm build 
 
Project management: 
Associated Architects › CFA
Architects agent › TANK Architectes
Mission › Basic studies and partial execution
Engineering firms › Structure: Bollinger & Grohmann - Fluids: HDM Ingénierie SA - Economy: Cabinet Becquart - HEQ: Solener
 
Beginning of studies: project competition winner, June 2009 - Work in progress 
 
Program: Demolition and reconstruction on site of the Lycée Leonardo da Vinci (1000 students) : workshops, class rooms, scientific laboratories, sports room, car park.
Work on occupied site.
 
Sustainable Development:
NF Bâtiment tertiaire certification - HEQ and BBC Effinergie Label
- Selection of construction procedures and products: use of certified material – modular building - metal frame
- Construction site with minimal environmental nuisances on occupied site
- Economic energy management: BBC Effinergie building – consumption: 65 kwh/m²/year, dual-flow air handling units with heat recovery system - photovoltaic panels/hot water panels production - additional external insulation - performance monitoring
- Water management: green roof - storm water reuse
- Hygrothermal comfort
- Acoustic comfort
- visual comfort : solar protection on facade



  1 2 3 4 5 6   


PUBLICATIONS ON THE PROJECT
SIMILAR PROJECTS
colboc franzen velizy villacoublay 2030

Velizy-Villacoublay 2030

cfa-regional-chamber-of-trades-and-crafts

Regional chamber of Trades and Crafts

colboc franzen r house sevres

R house in Sèvres